Friday 16 March 2012

Folk Tales and Fairy Tales...

...one of my most recent projects was looking at folktales and fairytales which was a joyous trip through some of the stranger books my mother used to read us when we were little, Strewelpeter was one of them (which I can't recommend enough, seriously scary but we never got tired of it) and the tales of Baba Yaga was another.  Baba Yaga was a russian folktale featuring, I think, the original terrifying, murderous witch that most of the fairytales and folktales use as a basis today.  She had gnashing iron teeth and a house in the depths of the forest which sat on Chicken legs enabling it to move stealthily through the trees.  She would invite little children in to her house, bathe them then eat them...

My brief was to modernise the tale and so instead of having the house on chicken legs I gave her a mobility scooter which was propelled by them instead.  I went for the look of a serial killer instead of the traditional huge crooked nose and wiry frame - the result of the project wasn't entirely satisfactory to my mind but it was a very interesting experiment and here are some of the images...

Papercut









Frustratingly the last images are a bit washed out and fuzzy but hopefully you get the idea... J.

No comments:

Post a Comment